Thursday, January 31, 2008

Ups and Downs

It's been a busy week at the Leahy/Wilson household! Brian flew to New York over the weekend for the 10th anniversary party for his company. I've heard it was a wet and wild night, full of mani's and pedi's (for the menfolk, of course) and night swimming into the wee hours. I know Brian had a good time, though lack of details have made me a little suspicious...

On my end, I had a nail-biting weekend waiting for a phone call that never came. You see, last week I had an audition for a feature-length film. The production company was a pretty well-put-together team that makes 15-20 films a year -- "B movies", if you will. The audition went way better than expected, and I was extremely excited because -- get this -- it films for 2 weeks in SOUTH AFRICA! Most of you know that S. Africa is one of my favorites places in the world, having spent 10 days there in 2006. I feel such a connection to the country and the people... Needless to say, I've been dying to go back. So to have the opportunity to go for FREE, and actually be PAID to go?! I was beside myself, though I tried not to get my hopes up.

Thursday morning I got a call for a very last minute callback. The director wanted me to read with another guy, to see how we fit together. I rearranged my afternoon to make myself available. Despite waiting for 45 minutes in the production office, the other actor never showed up. They eventually told me to go home, excusing him by saying "well, he's British..." But the casting assistant asked me if I had my passport handy, and to stay by the phone that night. "The director really likes you, its just a matter of getting the producer's approval". I was ecstatic! So I waited...and waited...and waited. I suppose you can see where this is going.

Despite everything he told me, no one from that office ever called me. I've emailed and called them -- nothing. Who knows what happened. Maybe that other actor blew my shot at the role. I don't know. I wished they at least had the nerve to tell me "no" so I didn't have to wait it out. But I guess that's LA for ya!

On the brighter side, I had an audition last week that I had totally forgotten about. It was for Hasbro (the toy company), for a CSI-type interactive video/game. Not a video game, but a game involving a video...I guess. Okay, I suppose I'm not entirely sure what it is. In any case, there is a murder mystery and I auditioned for one of the witnesses of the murder.

When I got to the audition, it turned out the director was the dad of this baby I started taking care of out here! The audition went really well, with great feedback. And on Monday, his wife informed me that I got the job!! It was so cute...she couldn't wait to tell me.

So I have officially booked my first job in LA. The pay isn't much to speak of (a modest day rate) but it is two days of work and a GREAT opportunity. The director is really fabulous, and he used to be one of the biggest casting directors in LA. I'm very excited to work with him.

The project shoots tomorrow and Saturday, so I'll definitely let you all know how it goes. And once I figure out WHAT the game is and the name of it, I'll be sure to pass it along. That way you can all buy the game for Christmas next year and watch my mad interview skills. I didn't do it, I promise!!

Until next time...
JB&S

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

even thou I knew all of this, I am a JB&S blog groupie.

Unknown said...

THAT'S GREAT CONGRATS!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Please keep us up to date. I look forward to hearing from you both even if it's through a blog. Love you both, Tita.